Who is Buddy Bear?
Bear’s story is a horrific experience of being abused. Bear was caged the first four months of his life. He was kept in his cage for weeks at a time laying in his own feces and urine. He was fed a few times a week. Bear had to endure horrible suffering the first few months of his life.
This is not the last of Bear’s awful experience. Bear jumped out of a moving car window and broke his left hind leg. With all this trauma in Bear’s short life, he desperately needed an upstander. One organization came to his rescue and became Bear’s upstander.
That organization is HAWS (Human Animal Welfare Society). HAWS saved Bear’s life. They assessed Bear’s condition and discussed the options. Because Bear’s leg was so badly broken, HAWS doctors made the decision to remove Bear’s broken leg.
Today, you would not know Bear is a handicapped dog. He does everything a normal dog does: runs, jumps, swims; and greets everyone with a huge smile! Because Bear became the happiest dog and his love for children and everyone around him, he earned his name, “BUDDY BEAR” He is Your Buddy.
Animal Abuse and the Connection to Bullying
There is a common tie between animal abuse and bullying. It’s crucial to make their connection and to learn the behavioral signs of bullying and abuse. Both, bullying and animal abuse, involve:
• A lack of empathy, sympathy, compassion
• A lack of love for other living beings
• A commonality in victimization
• Poor attitude toward animals
• Misconception of social behavior and expectations
• Internal anxiety
• Personal exposure of abuse or bullying
• A sense of desired power
• Abuse to animals leads kids towards bullying
This year over 5,485 suicides
will be committed because of bullying
How Buddy Bear Will Help Both Bully’s and Victims of Bullying
• Teach compassion and love
• Teach how animals can be a means of therapy, comfort, affection, and be a friend
• Teach how to respect, take care of, and have a healthy relationship with animals
• Show that disabilities are special and to be accepted
• Show that it is possible to overcome hardships
• Inspire strength, determination, and selflessness
• Inspire others to want to help another living being
• Display what it means to have hope and to never give up in life
85% of bullying will stop in the first 10 seconds
if the bystander becomes an upstander.
What do GAB and Buddy Bear Have Planned?
• Children’s Books
• School Assemblies
• Special Events
• Holiday and Event Appearances
• Book Signings and Meet-and-Greets
• School and Hospital Visitations
• Make a presence with other anti-cruelty and anti-bullying organizations to spread awareness
• Sell GAB and Buddy Bear merchandise
• Television and radio appearances
• Provide resources for parents, health professionals and schools
77% of students report bullying as on going.
GAB and Buddy Bear Book Topics
• What is a Bully?
• Be an Upstander and Friend, Not a Bully
• Buddy Bear Overcame Bullies and So Can YOU!
• Buddy Bear Befriends a Bully
• It’s Nicer to Be Nice
• Why Bullies Bully
• Buddy Bear and the “No Bullies” Club
• Buddy Bear is Different and so are YOU!
• Buddy Bear Loves You and Spreads Love
Nearly 160,000 kids miss school every day because of the fear of bullying.
*Make your GAB Community Event extra special and include a GAB Celebrity Speaker, Buddy Bear the Ambassadog or any of the multiple options now available. Packaged Community Events are available with additional donations of $250 up to $2500 depending on your choice of services. Contact us for more information
GAB offers a variety of community services individually or custom packaged. Take a look.